Building foundations and removing barriers to food business ownership through experiential education and access to commercial kitchen facilities
and other resources
Facility & Volunteer Coordinator- UPDATED
About the Position:
The Facility & Volunteer Coordinator is an exciting opportunity to join the Can-Do Kitchen as it enters its next stage of growth. The position is 20 hours per week and reports to the Executive Director. The position regularly interfaces with Can-Do Kitchen staff, business members, and volunteers. It also involves the creation of organizational systems and facility coordination.
About the Can-Do Kitchen:
The Can-Do Kitchen is a 501(c)3 organization in its tenth year of providing support to food entrepreneurs. The support provided includes access to a commercial kitchen facility, education about starting a business, reduced rates and scholarships, and culturally competent business guidance.
Position Responsibilities Include:
• Coordinate food safety, cleaning, maintenance, and repairs in a commercial kitchen
• Manage online kitchen scheduling process
• Orient and train new members in kitchen facility
• Manage volunteer database and nurture relationships
• Coordinate volunteers and work at four Night Market fundraisers per year
• Participate in professional development opportunities that build effectiveness in areas of inclusion, intercultural communication, and advancing diversity.
• 6 months of commercial kitchen and/or restaurant experience
• 2 years of business and/or non-profit experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, internet, and email communication
• 2-year degree, certificate or equivalent experience
• Experience working effectively with diverse community members and colleagues
• Food safety management certification
• Teaching, instruction, or training experience
• Commercial kitchen cleaning experience
• Volunteer management experience
• Customer service experience
• Google services experience
• Conversational in multiple languages
Job Location and Other Information:
Most job tasks take place at the Can-Do Kitchen office and kitchen location. Tasks also take place at the Kalamazoo Farmers’ Market location and various locations depending on events. Evening and weekend work is often required. Job occasionally requires lifting up to 25 pounds.
$11.00 – 12.00 per hour with paid time off and holidays.
Please fill out an application by typing or writing clearly. Please scan and attach application materials in a single email to the Executive Director (Lucy@candokitchen.org). Applications will be reviewed starting on May 1st and the position will remain open until filled.
Lucy founded the Can-Do Kitchen as a program of Fair Food Matters ten years ago when she noticed the need for a shared-use kitchen in Kalamazoo. Her years of experience in natural foods retail, managing a production kitchen, farmers' market vending, and non-profit programming and administration led her to this work. Her passion for health, opportunity, and equity is the fuel that drives her.
Director of Operations
Sheena has been with the Can-Do Kitchen for seven years. She has many years of experience in event planning, fundraising, customer service, and project management. Her passion for good food paired with the opportunity to empower local business owners lured Sheena to the food business incubator world in 2011. When she isn't at work, you'll find her on stage in a play or experimenting in her own kitchen with her husband and two kids.
Board of Directors
Our founding members have all been part of the Can-Do Kitchen as former clients, partners, collaborators, or advisory group members. Now they bring their board leadership, nonprofit experience, and community connections to their new roles as Directors as the Can-Do Kitchen embarks upon a new journey. We will be seeking additional board members this year.
Current board members: Hether Frayer (chair), Rachel Bair (secretary), Rob Peterson (treasurer), Jessica Hermann-Wilmarth, Clarence Lloyd, Meka Phillips, and